Sutton Ag logo
Sutton Ag store
Farm equipment menu Bird control menu
The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms classifies Bird Bombs® as EPCDs (explosive pest control devices), and requires a federal explosives license/permit prior to purchase (applies to private/corporate users; government agencies are generally exempt from license requirement).
(Sutton Ag's Bird Bangers and Bird Whistlers® are not classified as EPCD)
The Federal Explosives License or permit is commonly referred to as an "FEL". A Federal Firearms License (FFL) is NOT acceptable for purchase of these devices.

To apply for an FEL:

Go to the ATF website:
and download "ATF F 5400.13/5400.16" (note new mailing address as of 2/1/19).

Submit your completed application, 2-inch photo(s), fingerprint card(s), and applicable fee to the ATF at the address listed at the top of page 6. The application will be referred to the nearest ATF field office for review and facility inspection. You should be contacted in 30 -60 days.

Our tips for completing form 5400.13 / 5400.16 (as applies to Bird Bombs®) :

  • Page 1, items 1-10: To obtain a fingerprint identification card, ATF directs you to inquire with your local law enforcement agency.
  • Page 2, item 11: Enter your (and/or your employees') personal information as indicated.
  • Page 3, item 12: Decide which license/permit you are applying for, check the "Other" box, and enter "EPCD" on the blank line. We recommend the $100 "User of Explosives" permit (see permit comparison below).

Permit comparison:

    "User of Explosives"
    Fee is $100. Good for 3 years, renewable for $50. Upon approval, send a copy of your permit to Sutton Ag. Your purchases of Bird Bombs® will be valid until the permit expires.

    "User (Limited) of Explosives"
    Fee is $75. Good for 1 year, not renewable. Upon approval, you'll receive your permit coupons allowing up to 6 purchases in 1 year. We've found the coupon system is complicated and requires even more recordkeeping.

    "Limited Permit (Intrastate Only)"
    Fee is $25. Good for 1 year, renewable for $12. This permit also allows for 6 purchases within the year, but must be purchased and used within the state. To buy from Sutton Ag, this is only an option of you reside in California. We've found the coupon system is complicated and requires even more recordkeeping.

  • Page 3, item 13: Inquire with your local authorities.
  • Page 5/Explosives Storage Magazine Description Worksheet: If you plan to store your Bird Bombs® in one of Sutton Ag's EPCD Storage Magazines, we will provide a partially completed magazine description worksheet. You will only need to add your personal information as indicated. If you plan to use a magazine not supplied by Sutton Ag, we can help you complete the worksheet (your local ATF office can also help).
Bird Bombs® bird scaring pyrotechnics
Bird Bombs®
EPCD storage magazine for Bire Bombs or Shell Crackers
Mag Model 1

Capacity: 5 cu.ft. Holds up to 2,000 rounds of Bird Bombs®

Sutton Ag is the U.S. exclusive distributor of Zink-Feuerwerk brand pyrotechnic bird control devices.

All pyrotechnic devices (Bird Bombs®, Bird Bangers, Bird Whistlers®, Shell Crackers) purchased from Sutton Agricultural Enterprises, Inc. are to be used for bird control / wildlife pest control only. Any other use is strictly prohibited.

You must comply with all federal, state, and local regulations before purchasing these products.

The buyer(s) and user(s) of these devices must be qualified personnel 21 years of age or older.

Sutton Agricultural Enterprises, Inc.
1044 Harkins Road

Salinas, CA 93901 USA
Phone: 866/280-6229 or 831/422-9693
Fax: 831/422-4201

Your source for pest bird control products and precision farm equipment since 1956.
Sutton Ag Facebook link
Credit card logos